Widu

Plaudern Politik Kultur Sprache Forum
Aktuelle Zeit: 22. Aug 2019, 16:24

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Forumsregeln

Please write English only! -Bitte nur auf Englisch schreiben!

AutorNachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: The Final Voyage
BeitragVerfasst: 18. Dez 2009, 07:04 
Förster
Förster

Titel: Widu
Garry Lindman was the first to wake up. His consciousnees was so weak that he couldn’t even think the appropriate thought, “where am I?” Not even “who am I?” or “what am I?” Thinking was a process that had to be readjusted to. At the moment there was only barely perceptible consciousness, which evolved into the perception of something shining. His mind agonizingly started to struggle with the thought “what does this mean?” There was light! Light, light! What does it mean? Light draws you! Light is sun.
Then it hit him! Seventy billion years! Sun! My God, Sun! The sun which must have disappeared billions of years ago! For a moment he drifted back into dream, saw himself walking on sunny fields hand in hand with Martha. “Stay,” she said to him “don’t do it!” And he would stay. He would have been dead long ago, but he would have had his life with Martha. He woke again.

Only that Martha never had said it! Had she, he would never signed on to this crazy expedition into the unknown future. Unknown for him although the scientists had assured him and all the others that it had been calculated to the last cubic mile! By that they were referring to the universe, whose longterm fate had been figured out almost to the atom by those astounding prognoputers.

Martha! She was dead so long ago, the mind could not grasp it! She was not even dust. She was nothing! The earth they had trod on didn’t exist now for billions of years! Nor the sun! Anyhow the sun he had known. Had this other fellow not come along, he would have led a normal life, it wouldn’t have mattered being dead now, he would have enjoyed his one-time life in an environment he knew, was used to. When he told her of his decision, he had hoped that she would cry, would try to persuade him to remain, maybe even realize that she loved only him. But she seemed actually to be relieved. And this all seemed as if it had happened yesterday. The mind could not grasp it!

He had heard of project ‘humanity’s future’ and had attended the explanatory lectures. At the first one he had suspected that he had stumbled into a some crazy sect. But soon he realized that these men were serious scientists. Actually the whole idea would have frightened him. But he had become too pathetic to care anymore. Just to get away from it all . But he wasn’t ready to throw his life away. The best idea seemed to sleep over it. 70 billion years!

The lecturer had explained to the hundreds of people how the prognoputers had foretold the future of practically each atom in the universe, working at this mindboggling calculation more than a thousand years! There was no chaos, he had told the group. Each electron moves in a predictable way. There was no need to calculate actually the way of each one. Rules existed for the way the electrons of each atom had to behave. And there was new mass being created in the universe all the time, infinitesimal over large areas, but amountig to considerable quantities in the immense universe and over enormous amounts of time. And even the behaviour of these, who did not even yet exist, had been calculated.
The sun we knew was going to cool off during the next billion years. Even though that had no immediate implications for us, now was the time to start planning for the future existence of mankind. Future generations would continue the conquest of the universe, but we were the pioneers. The matter was so important that it could not be left for the last few thousand years. The problem was that all the matter of the universe existing now, would change over the time, so there would be no more ‘Milky way’, or any galaxies as we knew them now. Thus there was no sense in just sending a vessel far away; the same fate would reach all habitable planets existing at present in the universe.

But new planets revolving around new suns would replace them! New material was being created all the time in the universe and even the way the different atoms and molecules would attract each other and what final form they would reach after billions of years, had been determined by those amazing semiconscious prognoputers! And a future habitable planet had been calculated to be ready for colonization in about 70 billion earth years, practically to the year it would be ready for colonization, at a mere twohundred thousand light years from the present sun system. All the vessel had to do, was to advance slowly during 70 billion years to its destination, collecting drifting molecules for the constant renewal of all its contents, including the atoms of its human cargo.

He started remembering the wake-up procedures: Push the button to release the restraining belts. Food and water pills enough for a year in the former earth time, in the boxes near him. The quantity was exaggerated, as the wake-up was programmed to conclude within a week. But it was always good to be on the safe side. All he had to do now, was wait patiently for one of the subleaders to open his quite comfortable cubicle and let him out, once the wake-up was completed, which may be any moment soon. There was some reading material, some disks. He would while away the time.

The great vessel drifted on. Lately there had been some problems with the collection of molecules, but there existed no danger yet. The technoputers had provided for any eventuality, although unforeseen developments were highly improbable: The reserve of molecules was still sufficient for many centuries to come and the moment of the mission’s completion was very near.

To be continued

Profil Besuche Website  

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 19. Dez 2009, 10:55 
Förster
Förster

Now they were all awake. The adventurers had been freed from their cubicles and Poltik, the mission leader had assembled the roughly ten thousand prospective settlers in the main assembly hall.
“I hope you feel refreshed after your nap,“ he joked, getting the expected ripple of laughter, which was more an attempt to release the tenseness felt by most, due to the difficulty of adjusting to the new reality. The realization that the world which they were accustomed to, had ceased to exist unimaginably long ago, though to them it seemed that just yesterday they had left their homes and relatives, was overwhelming.

“Let me tell you, that everything went exactly to plan and we are very near to our destination,” continued Poltik, “we have a small, technical problem at the moment with the mass detector, but”, sensing a nervous reaction, he raised his voice over the speaker system, “even small problems like this have been foreseen and provided for, and our scientists are right now going over to different systems.

“Now let us pay homage to those, who didn’t make it. They will be always in our memory and Garry Lindmann, who was the first to wake up, only 5 weeks after departure, according to the graphs, will symbolize for generations to come, the spirit of the colonizers of the new world. Yes, this was unavoidable and it too was calculated , that there would be more who would not make it by waking too early than those who would.
But these sacrifices were necessary and we, of course, could not disclose this unpleasant fact to you. I can only console you by assuring you that I shared this danger, and there were many who where informed about it and ready to take over, should I not have made it.

“Although it was possible to calculate how many would fall off on the way, there was no way of telling, exactly who. The only possibility to shorten their suffering, was by releasing a gas into their cubicle, once the first movements were noted in their cubicle more than a year before arrival. And there was quite a number who almost made it!
“But now, let us look forward to a great future…”

The voice seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere. It seemed to originate inside the heads of the space travellers.
“Where do you think you have arrived, you poor ignorants, you who believe you have solved the riddle of the universe! You who have travelled so long only to reach nothingness!”
“Who are you?” stammered Poltik.
“ I am one of the real beings. We could have let you stumble on, till you would have realized the truth, if ever! But we still have left some fragments of the former attributes of mankind: Pity. That’s why we are not yet perfect. “
“Perfect in what way?” enquired Poltik with a voice betraying his growing distress.
“As perfect as the creator! Once we are, we will unite into one being, equal to the creator! The creator is lonely, that’s why the material world was created, which would provide a basis for mankind, which after eons would evolve into the partner. We have now reached a level at which you may have imagined your God, but we are still far below the One who is and it will take more time than the universe existed, till we will be equal to the creator and unite into the one being. But time means nothing to the One!”

“What do you mean the universe ‘existed’?” asked Poltik in a trembling voice.
“It hardly exists anymore, it is about to end. It has done its duty. Material is almost non-existant!”
“That’s impossible!” the mission leader burst out, “the calculations have been perfect! Our prognoputers could calculate the path of every single electron in the universe!”
“This was according to the old physical laws, which have been cancelled! There is no need for them any more! Only few atoms are left. You have nowhere to go!”
For long moments Poltik stared at the dismal assembly.
Finally he muttered “This was not calculated!”

Profil Besuche Website  

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 19. Dez 2009, 23:45 
Baum
Baum

Thanks for the opportunity to refresh my knowledge and understanding of Quantum Mechanics, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and Popper's Empirical Falsification. However, as you might expect, I am in agreement with Startrek Scotty:-

"Ye canna change the laws of Physics". :shock:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20. Dez 2009, 18:05 
Förster
Förster

Andy hat geschrieben:
Thanks for the opportunity to refresh my knowledge and understanding of Quantum Mechanics, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and Popper's Empirical Falsification. However, as you might expect, I am in agreement with Startrek Scotty:-

"Ye canna change the laws of Physics". :shock:

Die idea here is that - if there is a creator, lets leave that debate aside - he decided the physical laws and can do anything.
If there isn't - then that's that and it won't be changed.
For my story I supposed there was one.

Profil Besuche Website  

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]