Widu

Plaudern Politik Kultur Sprache Forum
Aktuelle Zeit: 21. Sep 2018, 11:44

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Forumsregeln

Please write English only! -Bitte nur auf Englisch schreiben!

AutorNachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: What is myrrh anyway?
BeitragVerfasst: 30. Nov 2015, 22:30 
Blättchen
Blättchen

Titel: Widu
What is myrrh anyway? :wiwi

Zitat:

I was brought up to say "Merry Christmas" rather than "Happy Christmas". "Happy" was supposed to be kept back for holidays and the New Year. But now, I've noticed, my mother insists on "Happy Christmas". Challenged about this apparent volte-face, she cites the tweeness of "Merry", an adjective which, as she points out, has also been tarnished by its association of drunkenness.

The history of merry suggests another reason for finding it inappropriate. Merry is the modern form of the Old English myrige, meaning "pleasant". So, OK. But further back its roots are in Sanskrit, the ancient ceremonial language of India, in which muhur meant "for a moment" or "suddenly". Something of this endures, I think, in the texture of the English word and in its archaic offshoots merry-begot, a term for a bastard child, and merry-bout, slang for a brisk sexual coming-and-going. Merry retains an air of the blithely yet brutishly ephemeral. Now that I reflect on it, I'm sympathetic to my mother's case - a sure way of ensuring we enjoy a happy Christmas.

Whereas merry is a word that perhaps only offers up a hint of its long past, much of the language of Christmas has a distinctly venerable look. Take, for instance, wassail. The word embalms the Old English salutation wes hal, an instruction to "be in good health". It has been used since around 1300 of the spiced ale drunk on Christmas Eve, and since 1600 as a snynonym for "partying" or "carousing". Its historical interest lies, though, in the Normans having found it peculiarly redolent of the English view of the world, which is to say a kind of hard-drinking parochialism. Some sources suggest that the night before the Battle of Hastings the Normans prayed while the English stayed up boozing and crying out "wes hal". Wassail is a word tainted by Norman contempt for Anglo-Saxon licentiousness. In passing, I should add that if you see a pub called The Pig and Whistle (there's one in Benidorm), its name is a corruption of Byggen Wassail, a festival that used to bel held to celebrate the barley harvest.

Read more about it: :wiwi

*** Der Link ist nur für Mitglieder sichtbar, zum Login. ***

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: What is myrrh anyway?
BeitragVerfasst: 30. Nov 2015, 23:14 
Forstrat
Forstrat

Titel: Laird of Glencairn
I just had a look what Wiki says about myrrh: :torte

Zitat:
Myrrh /ˈmɜr/ from the Hebrew '"מור"' ("mor") and Arabic مر (mur) is the aromatic resin of a number of small, thorny tree species of the genus Commiphora,[1] which is an essential oil termed an oleoresin. Myrrh resin is a natural gum. It has been used throughout history as a perfume, incense and medicine. It can also be ingested by mixing it with wine

More about it: *** Der Link ist nur für Mitglieder sichtbar, zum Login. ***

gefürsteter Herzog von Drumnadrochit, Blairgowrie and Dunkeld

Profil Besuche Website  

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]