Widu

Plaudern Politik Kultur Sprache Forum
Aktuelle Zeit: 21. Sep 2018, 19:32

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Forumsregeln

Please write English only! -Bitte nur auf Englisch schreiben!

AutorNachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: "to protect our civilisation..."
BeitragVerfasst: 5. Jan 2010, 20:16 
Widukind
Widukind

Titel: Widu
Have a look at this website to better understand the story below.

*** Der Link ist nur für Mitglieder sichtbar, zum Login. ***

Five days after the slaughter of the innocents an editorial in the Aberdeen (South Dakota) Saturday Pioneer reflected the popular opinion of the wasicu (white people) of that day.
It read: "The Pioneer has before declared that our only safety depends upon the total extermination of the Indians.
Having wronged them for centuries, we had better, in order to protect our civilisation, follow it up by one more wrong
and wipe these untamed and untamable creatures from the face of the earth."

Ten years after he wrote that editorial calling for genocide against the Lakota people, L. Frank Baum wrote that wonderful childrens book The Wizard of Oz...

How can a Man have two so different faces?
And why do we never read about this in the NEWS?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 5. Jan 2010, 21:25 
Förster
Förster

Writing a wonderful book, does not necessarily include having compassion. Seems to me, the wizard of Oz does not contain any special humane message.
If the author of "Uncle Toms cabin" had called for genocide, that would have been incomprehensible.

Profil Besuche Website  

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 5. Jan 2010, 22:58 
Widukind
Widukind

But still, you wouldn´t expect that from an author of children books.
At least I wouldn´t.
I was shocked.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 7. Jan 2010, 23:35 
Baum
Baum

The white people of the day felt that the Indians were sub-human savages who could not be trusted - they were thought to be like a pack of wolves who would mutilate and kill "civilised" people if they were not put down.

The extermination of the Indians also seemed to many to be the only certain way to keep the territory they had taken from the Indian tribes. Their behaviour was inhuman and disgusting, but at a time when outlaws gained respect by being ruthless killers, it was aways likely that the Indians would be treated in a disgraceful manner.

Sadly, things are not much different nowadays e.g. in the West Bank, Israeli settlers are allowed to dominate and displace native Arabs - more than 500,000 Israelis now live in colonial settlements which are illegal under international law.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 8. Jan 2010, 00:31 
Widukind
Widukind

Andy hat geschrieben:

Sadly, things are not much different nowadays e.g. in the West Bank, Israeli settlers are allowed to dominate and displace native Arabs - more than 500,000 Israelis now live in colonial settlements which are illegal under international law.

Right! I´ve read about that situation in a magazine a few weeks ago!
Astonishing, that things like that are still possible!
It´s sooo stupid!!! :aua :aua

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know, I tried to convince my colleagues and some friends and my neighbours, to try and help these american natives on that Pine Ridge reservation I´ve wrote about a while ago.
With no succsess at all. AT ALL. (I´ve talked to about 50 people. People, I know since years!)
I find that interesting: I know a lot of people who give money to help the poor in Africa, Asia, or try to save the rainforrest.
But when it comes to american natives, it seems like a kind of shutter comes down over the eyes, or heads of everyone. They read the article- and that´s it.
And when you confront them and ask "Why?", they talk their way arround it.
Don´t worry, guys- I will never mention the red indians again. Don´t want to put anyone under stress.
:tätschel :sorry

Betreff des Beitrags: Re:
BeitragVerfasst: 18. Sep 2010, 07:39 
Förster
Förster

Andy hat geschrieben:

Like many Israelis I agree that we should return all of the West bank to the Palestinians and am ashamed how some of the orthodox settlers behave there.
But one must know the whole picture before one decides about guilt.
Israel would have been only to happy to return the West bank to King Hussein II of Jordan from whom it had conquered it in the Six-day-war in 1967.
But the king refused to take it back with all those troublesome Palestinians, his supporters being the Bedouin. So we were actually stuck with them and couldn't afford to just leave them alone, as it would have become another very hostile border.

Read it right from a Jordanian site:

There have been several attempts to come to a real peace agreement with the Palestinians, in which case our government would have forced the settlers to leave, just as it did in Ghaza, in response to which our South has been constantly shelled since then on a daily basis, up till today. Our army can only respond in a limited very ineffective way, as anything more will have the world screaming.

In the nineties PM Rabin, a former chief of staff of the army made an attempt at peace, willing to make great sacrifices, yet terror again increased as the Chamas realized that in case of peace it would lose it's reason d'etre and with it its power. The war had to continue to make Hamas appear the savior of the Palestinians.
While terror acts increased on a daily basis and people became afraid to board trains or buses or enter restaurants and shopping centers, rabins popularity plummeted.
Yet he insisted that we had to go ahead regardless at costs.

As the reality of probable Israeli concessions to Palestinians came closer, and at the same time, Palestinian terror groups launched more and more ambushes and terror attacks (though still relatively minor at the time), Rabin's popularity plummeted. Violent demonstrations caricatured Rabin as an SS officer, and at one point demonstrators began vandalizing his official car. A group of right-wing demonstrators gathered outside his Ramat Aviv apartment each day to chant insults and threats. The security apparatus did very little to stop this activity. Ariel Sharon claimed that warnings of threats on Rabin's life were political fabrications. Rabin responded by organizing a giant peace demonstration, with the them of "Yes to Peace, No to Violence."

The rally was held in the main square of Tel Aviv on the evening of November 4, 1995 and was well attended. Rabin shared the podium with his ex-rival Shimon Peres, singing songs of peace and declaring his determination to carry through the peace agreements, and then left to go to his car. As he approached his automobile, a right-wing fanatic, Yigal Amir, inflamed by incitement of extremist settler rabbis, broke through the very lax police security and fired several shots at Rabin's back. Rabin was rushed to Ichilov hospital and died there shortly thereafter. His funeral was attended by numerous world leaders, including US President Clinton, who made the phrase "Shalom, Chaver" (adieu, comrade) famous, and most notably H.R.H. King Hussein of Jordan.

Ami Isseroff

In the year 2000 Ehud Barak was voted in as PM and got the backing of 73% (which included other parties)of the voters to make peace at any price. Almost from the start he agreed to 91% of the demands of Arafat, with the rest open for negotiation, probably by exchanging some land settled by Israelis (as the city Ariel) for land belonging to Israel before 1967 and compensation for the descendants of the refugees of 1948, who could then be settled quite comfortably in the West bank.
Upon this the Palestinian population demanded large parts of Israel itself.

This was too much even for the softest of doves and the talks broke down. The Israeli population now was fed up, realized they could never come to terms and voted the hawkisch Likud party into office.

Profil Besuche Website  

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: "to protect our civilisation..."
BeitragVerfasst: 18. Sep 2010, 08:27 
Förster
Förster

And in the end the haws told us doves: "See, how naive you were? We told yo all along there could be no peace with the Arabs!"
And we could not repond, while many former doves had become hawks, even I myself have become a bit less dovish.
Yet one should also remember that for the peace with Egypt, Israel was willing to return the Sinai peninsula, which is more than twice the size of original Israel and with its oil fields, though that peace stands on shaky legs. Also president Sadat refused to take Ghaza back with all those Palestinians.
In the end President Sadat was assassinated for his heroic deed.

Profil Besuche Website  

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]